People are retiring earlier. The average age for a first retirement is 57.5 years. According to the latest statistics, if you are in good health now, you are probably going to live another 30-40 years. If you are like most people, you planned for previous stages in your life. Retirement is no exception.
What are the six major issues you need to be considering before you retire?
1. More than any other age group, Boomers are concerned about having a purpose during their retirement years. A purpose (goal) gives you a sense of meaning which contributes to your overall well-being and happiness. The challenge is to focus on who you are instead of what you do.
2. Now is the time to discover the things you feel passionate about, that you find engaging and meaningful. How you choose to spend your retirement years will depend on the choices you are making as you approach this next stage in your life.
3. The timing of when you retire can be critical. To determine when you will retire, reflect on who you are (your strengths and values) and what you want during retirement. Your experiences over the years, the knowledge you have gained, and self-awareness you have developed will help you make your decision.
4. Financial planning is one of the two main pillars of successful retirement. Because of the changing financial scene, there are three areas for you to consider for your financial plan to be solid: Social Security, employer's pension plans, and your personal savings. Discussing your financial needs with a financial planner is highly recommended.
5. Once basic financial needs are met, other issues become more important. Your health is the second pillar of retirement. This is a time to learn more about wellness which includes making yearly physical, dental and eye exams. It also means making good choices about nutrition, managing stress, moderate physical exercise for your body, and mental exercises for your brain.
6. Some relationships change during retirement. If you end your career, you no longer have the built-in contacts with people you would see on a daily basis. It is a time to build new relationships and cultivate a deeper relationship with your spouse, children, grandchildren, and other significant people in your life.
This is a critical time in your life. Planning helps you maximize the unlimited possibilities and fulfill your purpose. Your journey will be unique to you. Make it be all that you hope for.